Saturday, October 27, 2007


Carina Round: Slow Motion Addict


From England comes this new cd from Carina Round. Currently, she is on tour with Anne Lennox. This cd, while released in June 2007, is by far one of my favorites this year a
nd I keep it up because of this. Her style, if you will, is if My Brightest Diamond, met Imogen Heap and did it with PJ Harvey. She also has Bjork elements to her, but nonetheless it is something you should hear. 

The first track Stolen, is what sold me. It fires up immediately and the chorus is so damn catchy, and instant fave of mine. "How Many Times" reminds me of Katy Roses' "I Like" but a lot more mature. "Gravity Lies" enters with a drum machine and a disjunct guitar followed by a soft breaking voice until the chorus. Utter emotion is spurred all over this album. Another upbeat track is "Ready To Confess" filled with a definite Pj Harvey spilled chorus. The dissonant solo is broken by her hitting the whistle range and giving a quick high note. This one is more punkier than the rest. "Want More" starts out as if Bloc Party was giving the instrumentals. Catchy pre-chorus and as always, another great chorus. Her voice is strong yet fragile as it quivers sometimes but appropriately.  "Down Slow" is one of the quieter tracks but is balanced out by "Come To You" an almost new age Fleetwood Mac style song. "January Heart" is a love song, that kicks it up at the end as she continues to say "you got me with a heavy heart".

A great enjoyable cd no doubt, and it pains me to have to take this cd down next week. I play Stolen on every show, and she is a great musician. I can't wait to hear more from this rising artist.

Tracks:
1: Stolen
8: Come To You
4: Ready to Confess
10: January Heart

0 comments: